Want to know How to pick a Fila Brasileiro puppy that’s right for you?
Choosing a puppy is one of the most exciting decisions of your life, but it can feel like there’s a lot of pressure!
After all, it’s a big commitment and they’ll be with you for the next 9-11 years.
However, there are several things to consider that will help you make the right decision and in this post, I’ll share with you:
Tips on how to choose the right puppy from the litter
How to pick a Fila Brasileiro puppy?
What to pay attention to when buying a Fila Brasileiro?
And much more
Let’s dive in!
How to pick a Fila Brasileiro puppy?
Choosing a Fila Brasileiro puppy, like selecting any breed, involves careful consideration to ensure that the dog’s temperament, size, and energy levels align with your lifestyle and expectations. The Fila Brasileiro, also known as the Brazilian Mastiff, is a large and powerful breed with a strong protective instinct, so it’s especially important to choose a puppy that is well-bred and socialized. Here are some steps and considerations for selecting a Fila Brasileiro puppy:
- Research the Breed: Understand the characteristics, temperament, and needs of the Fila Brasileiro. This breed is known for its loyalty and protective nature, but it can also be wary of strangers and requires firm, consistent training.
- Find a Reputable Breeder: Look for breeders who are experienced with the Fila Brasileiro and have a good reputation. A reputable breeder should prioritize the health and temperament of their dogs and be knowledgeable about the breed.
- Health Checks: Ensure the breeder conducts genetic health testing and provides health clearances for the puppies and their parents. This is crucial to avoid common genetic health problems in the breed.
- Meet the Parents: If possible, meet the puppy’s parents. This can give you insight into the temperament and size your puppy may inherit. The demeanor of the parent dogs often reflects in the puppies.
- Observe the Puppies: Spend time with the litter to observe how the puppies interact with each other and with humans. Look for a puppy that is neither overly aggressive nor excessively shy. A balanced temperament is key, especially given the protective nature of this breed.
- Socialization: Inquire about the socialization practices of the breeder. Early socialization is crucial for a Fila Brasileiro to ensure they are well-adjusted and confident as they grow.
- Ask About Vaccinations and Veterinary Care: The puppy should have received appropriate vaccinations and veterinary check-ups. A responsible breeder will provide you with a record of the puppy’s veterinary visits.
- Consider Your Lifestyle: Be honest about your lifestyle and the amount of time you can dedicate to training, exercise, and socialization. Fila Brasileiros are large, active dogs that require significant time and effort in training and exercise.
- Training and Handling: Be prepared for the commitment of training. This breed requires an experienced owner who can provide firm, consistent training and set clear boundaries.
- Breed-Specific Legislation and Insurance: Be aware of any breed-specific legislation in your area and potential challenges with homeowners’ insurance. Some regions have restrictions on owning certain breeds, including the Fila Brasileiro.
- Plan for the Future: Consider how you will accommodate a large, powerful dog in your home and lifestyle as it grows. This includes space, exercise needs, and potential costs associated with feeding and healthcare.
Remember, owning a Fila Brasileiro is a long-term commitment and should not be taken lightly. It’s important to ensure that you are fully prepared for the responsibility of raising a well-adjusted, healthy, and happy dog.
What to pay attention to when buying a Fila Brasileiro?
When considering the purchase of a Fila Brasileiro, there are several important factors to pay attention to. This breed is known for its size, loyalty, and protective nature, but it also requires careful consideration due to its unique temperament and specific needs. Here are key points to consider:
- Reputable Breeder: Choose a reputable breeder who specializes in Fila Brasileiros. They should be knowledgeable about the breed and committed to breeding for health, temperament, and adherence to breed standards. Avoid puppy mills and pet stores.
- Health Testing: Ensure the breeder conducts comprehensive health testing on their breeding dogs. Filas are prone to certain health issues like hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and gastric torsion. Health clearances or certificates should be available.
- Temperament: Pay close attention to the temperament of the puppy’s parents and the puppy itself. Filas are known for their loyalty and protective nature, but they should not be excessively aggressive or overly timid. A well-balanced temperament is crucial.
- Socialization: Inquire about the socialization practices of the breeder. Early socialization is critical for this breed to ensure they are well-adjusted, confident, and comfortable in a variety of situations.
- Understanding Breed Characteristics: Be aware of the breed’s natural guarding instincts and ensure you are prepared to handle a dog that can be protective and reserved with strangers. Proper training and socialization are key.
- Experience with Large Breeds: Consider whether you have experience with large, strong breeds. Filas require an owner who can provide firm, consistent training and understand canine behaviors.
- Lifestyle Fit: Evaluate your lifestyle and environment. Filas need ample space to move and exercise. They are not suited for apartment living and thrive in environments where they have a job to do or space to patrol.
- Legal Considerations: Be aware of any breed-specific legislation in your area. Some regions have restrictions or bans on certain breeds, including the Fila Brasileiro.
- Commitment to Training: Commit to ongoing training and socialization. Filas are intelligent and can be independent, so consistent, positive reinforcement-based training is essential.
- Puppy’s Health: Check the puppy’s health. Look for signs of good health like clear eyes, clean ears, a shiny coat, and appropriate weight. The puppy should be active and playful.
- Contracts and Guarantees: Ensure that you get a detailed contract from the breeder that outlines the terms of sale, health guarantees, and return policy.
Remember, owning a Fila Brasileiro is a significant commitment. This breed requires an owner who understands and respects their characteristics and needs, and who is prepared to provide a loving, structured, and stable environment.
How much is a Fila Brasileiro puppy?
The price of a Fila Brasileiro puppy can vary widely depending on several factors such as the breeder’s reputation, location, the lineage of the puppy, and whether the puppy is intended for show or as a pet. As of my last update in April 2023, you might expect to find Fila Brasileiro puppies priced anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 or more in the United States.
Factors influencing the price include:
- Breeder Reputation: Well-established breeders with a track record of producing high-quality puppies often charge more. They usually invest more in the health, breeding, and care of their dogs.
- Lineage and Pedigree: Puppies from award-winning or champion lines, or those with a pedigree of exceptional quality, usually cost more due to their potential for show or breeding.
- Health Testing and Veterinary Care: Breeders who conduct comprehensive health screenings and provide initial veterinary care (such as vaccinations and deworming) may charge more for their puppies.
- Location: Geographic location can impact the price due to differences in demand and the cost of living.
- Breeding Rights: If you are purchasing a puppy with the intent to breed, the price might be higher compared to a puppy sold as a pet with a spay/neuter agreement.
- Socialization and Training: Breeders who invest in early socialization and training might charge more for their puppies.
- Registration: Puppies sold with registration papers (e.g., from kennel clubs or breed organizations) might command a higher price.
Keep in mind that the initial purchase price is just one part of the total cost of owning a dog. You should also consider ongoing expenses such as food, veterinary care, training, and grooming, especially for a large breed like the Fila Brasileiro.
Before making a purchase, it’s important to visit the breeder, meet the puppy’s parents if possible, and observe the living conditions of the puppies to ensure they are healthy and well-cared for. A responsible breeder will be happy to answer your questions and show you around their facility. Remember, a lower price might not always be the best deal if it comes at the cost of the puppy’s health and well-being.
How to select a good Fila Brasileiro puppy?
Selecting a good Fila Brasileiro puppy requires careful consideration due to the breed’s unique characteristics and needs. Here are key steps and factors to keep in mind:
- Understand the Breed: Research and understand the typical temperament, size, and care requirements of the Fila Brasileiro. This breed is known for its protective nature, loyalty, and strong bond with its family, but it can be wary of strangers and requires firm, consistent training.
- Choose a Reputable Breeder: Look for a reputable breeder who specializes in Fila Brasileiros. They should be knowledgeable about the breed and committed to breeding for health and temperament. Avoid puppy mills and pet stores.
- Observe the Puppy’s Behavior: Spend time observing the puppies. Look for a puppy that is confident, alert, and curious, but not overly aggressive or excessively shy. The temperament of a puppy is a key indicator of its future behavior.
- Meet the Parents: If possible, meet the puppy’s parents. This can give you insight into the potential size, temperament, and health of the puppy.
- Health Checks and Vaccinations: Ensure the puppy has been health checked by a vet, dewormed, and received its initial vaccinations. Ask for health records and any genetic testing done on the parents.
- Look for Physical Health: A healthy puppy should have clear eyes, clean ears, a shiny coat, and no signs of diarrhea or unusual discharge. It should be well-fed and active.
- Socialization: Ask the breeder about their socialization practices. Early socialization is crucial for a Fila Brasileiro to ensure they grow up to be well-adjusted and confident.
- Ask Questions: Don’t hesitate to ask the breeder questions about the puppy’s lineage, health, temperament, and any guarantees they offer.
- Consider Your Lifestyle: Be honest about your lifestyle, experience with large and potentially challenging breeds, and your ability to train and socialize a Fila Brasileiro. This breed is not recommended for first-time dog owners.
- Legal and Insurance Considerations: Be aware of any breed-specific legislation in your area and check your homeowner’s insurance policy, as owning a Fila Brasileiro may affect your coverage or premiums.
- Future Commitment: Consider the long-term commitment. Filas are large dogs that require space, time for exercise, ongoing socialization, and training.
By taking these factors into account, you can select a Fila Brasileiro puppy that is healthy, well-socialized, and a good fit for your home and lifestyle. Remember, owning a Fila Brasileiro is a significant commitment that requires careful consideration and preparation.
How to Select a Fila Brasileiro Puppy Based on Breed and Appearance?
Selecting a Fila Brasileiro puppy based on breed standards and appearance involves understanding the breed’s specific characteristics and standards. Here’s a guide to help you choose a puppy that aligns with the breed’s typical traits:
- Research Breed Standards: Familiarize yourself with the Fila Brasileiro breed standards. These standards include details about size, proportion, coat, color, head shape, body structure, and temperament. Breed standards can typically be found through kennel clubs or breed-specific organizations.
- Observe Overall Appearance:
- Size and Build: The Fila Brasileiro is a large, powerful breed. Puppies should appear sturdy and well-proportioned, even at a young age.
- Coat: The coat should be short, smooth, and dense. Check for healthy skin and coat quality.
- Color: Common coat colors include brindle, fawn, and black. Some white markings are acceptable, but extensive white is not typically desired in show dogs.
- Head and Facial Structure:
- Head Shape: Look for a broad and massive head with a rectangular shape when viewed from above.
- Eyes: The eyes should be almond-shaped, medium to large in size, and set well apart. The color usually harmonizes with the coat.
- Ears: Ears are large, thick, and typically pendant shaped, falling along the cheeks.
- Body Structure:
- Bone Structure: Puppies should show the promise of a strong bone structure.
Remember, while appearance is one aspect of selecting a Fila Brasileiro puppy, temperament, health, and the ability to fit into your lifestyle and environment are equally important. A well-bred Fila Brasileiro from a reputable breeder who matches your needs and expectations will be a much more rewarding companion than one chosen for appearance alone.
How to choose the color of a Fila Brasileiro puppy?
Choosing the color of a Fila Brasileiro puppy is mostly a matter of personal preference, as the color does not typically affect the dog’s health or temperament. However, it’s important to be aware of the breed standard for colors if you are interested in showing your dog. Here are some guidelines to help you choose:
- Familiarize Yourself with Accepted Colors: According to breed standards, the Fila Brasileiro can come in various colors. Common colors include fawn, black, and brindle. There can be a range of shades in these colors, from lighter to darker.
- Understand Color Patterns: While solid colors are common, brindle patterns (stripes of dark hair over a lighter background) are also typical in the breed. Some Filas may have white markings, usually on the chest and feet, but extensive white is often discouraged in show dogs.
- Consider Showing Requirements: If you plan to show your Fila Brasileiro, check with the specific kennel club or breed organization’s standards for any color preferences or disqualifications. For example, some organizations might disqualify certain colors or extensive white markings.
- Personal Preference: If you’re not planning to show your dog, then the choice of color is entirely up to your personal preference. Choose a color that you find appealing.
- Observe the Puppy’s Coat Health: Regardless of color, the puppy’s coat should be glossy, smooth, and clean, which is a sign of good health. Avoid selecting a puppy solely based on color if there are signs of poor health or lack of vitality.
- Meet the Parents: Seeing the color of the puppy’s parents can give you an idea of what the puppy’s coat might look like when it matures, although genetics can sometimes lead to variations.
- Color Changes with Age: Be aware that the color of a Fila Brasileiro puppy can change as it grows. Puppies might darken, lighten, or see changes in the intensity of their brindle patterns as they mature.
- Health and Temperament Over Color: Always prioritize health and temperament over coat color. A puppy’s personality, health, and how well it fits with your lifestyle are far more important than its coat color.
- Availability: Depending on the breeder, certain colors may be more readily available than others. If you have a strong preference for a specific color, you might have to wait longer for a puppy or search for a breeder who specializes in that color.
In conclusion, while the color of your Fila Brasileiro puppy can be an important aesthetic consideration, it should not override factors like health, temperament, and compatibility with your lifestyle. A healthy, well-tempered puppy that fits well into your family is more important than its coat color.
How to tell if a Fila Brasileiro is purebred?
Determining if a Fila Brasileiro is purebred involves several steps and considerations. While it can be challenging to definitively ascertain a dog’s lineage without documentation, certain indicators can help you make an educated assessment:
- Pedigree Papers: The most reliable way to confirm a Fila Brasileiro’s purebred status is through pedigree papers provided by a recognized kennel club or breed registry. These documents trace the dog’s lineage and verify its purebred heritage.
- DNA Testing: DNA tests can provide information about a dog’s genetic makeup and can be used to confirm breed purity. Various companies offer dog DNA testing services that can identify breed composition.
- Breed Standard Characteristics: Familiarize yourself with the Fila Brasileiro breed standard, which outlines specific physical and temperamental traits. Purebred Filas should closely match these standards:
- Size and Proportion: Filas are large and powerful dogs with a heavy bone structure.
- Head and Facial Features: A broad skull, large and pendulous lips, and a rectangular head shape are distinctive features.
- Body: A well-proportioned body with a broad, deep chest and strong, muscular build.
- Coat: Short, smooth, and dense coat. Common colors include fawn, black, and brindle, with or without white markings.
- Gait: The breed has a smooth, powerful, and effortless gait.
- Temperament: Known for their loyalty and protective nature, Filas are affectionate with their family but often wary of strangers.
- Breeder Reputation: A reputable breeder who specializes in the Fila Brasileiro breed is more likely to produce purebred puppies. They should be knowledgeable about the breed and provide clear records of the dog’s lineage.
- Health and Genetic Screening: Purebred dogs, including Filas, are often screened for genetic health conditions common to the breed. Ask the breeder about any health screenings and veterinary care the dog has received.
It’s important to remember that having a purebred Fila Brasileiro is not necessarily a sign of superiority. Mixed-breed dogs can also be wonderful pets with unique advantages. However, if breed purity is important to you, especially for breeding, showing, or specific work purposes, it’s crucial to rely on accurate and reliable sources like pedigree papers and DNA testing.